Golf in Sharon started in 1898 on what was then O'Leary's farm on East Street. A group of enterprising men rented part of George O'Leary's cow pasture for the purpose of playing the game of Golf.
The first Clubhouse was a small, rustic building near the center of the property. The cows were responsible for mowing the fairways, fertilizing, and adding hazards along the way. Play it as it lies! They were kept off the Greens by black pipe fences.
In 1921, Tom O'Leary (George's son) sold the farm to Sharon Country Club. The cow pasture was "improved" to a more conventional type course. The O’Leary dairy barn located near East Street became the site of a new clubhouse that was completed in1923. Tom O'Leary assumed the role of Superintendent and continued to serve the Club in that capacity for 35 years.
In 1925, Wayne Stiles and his partner John Van Kleek were hired to design and build a 9-hole course that could compete with the number of new courses appearing in New England in pre-Depression times.
Sharon Country Club remained a 9-Hole course until 2002, when three holes were added. At that time, expanding the course to 18 holes was being considered. By 2009, the “new” clubhouse was showing its age, and the membership was placing more value on full practice facilities in place of expanding the number of holes. The Board of Governors approved converting two holes for a driving range and short game practice area. It also authorized the sale of a parcel of land adjacent to the 8th fairway to raise funds for a new clubhouse. The driving range and short game practice area opened in July 2010.
The 2020 season will begin with the opening of the new clubhouse with state of the art facilities. It is situated between the 1st tee and 9th green and includes a wraparound porch that overlooks both. Expect some interested spectators watching your opening drive and final putt!